Two “drunk, licensed thugs” have been jailed for life for the murder of an “altruistic” taxi driver.

Ali Asghar, 39, suffered catastrophic head injuries in a brutal attack after challenging one of his passengers to eat a chicken burger and fries in his vehicle.

He was punched in the head by Connor McPartland, 20, and Martin Treacy, 18, then kicked as he lay helpless on the ground.

He died in hospital two weeks later.

The defendants were found guilty by a jury at Manchester Crown Court last week of his murder in the early hours of October 30.

At a sentencing hearing on Monday, the victim’s younger brother Azhar Ali said he first ran into Mr Asghar as he lay on a stretcher in a hospital corridor .

He said: “Ali’s face was unrecognizable due to the bloody facial wounds he had sustained. It wasn’t until I saw his shoes that I recognized them as belonging to my brother.

Reading out his personal victim statement in the witness box, he told the court that his brother moved to the UK from his native Pakistan in 2009.

The economics graduate started delivering leaflets, worked at a McDonald’s restaurant and qualified to work in security.

Mr Asghar was then granted his taxi license as he continued to work “extreme hours” to financially support his family at home, the court heard.

His brother said: ‘My mother tortures herself every day for agreeing to let Ali go to the UK and the fact that he has worked so hard to provide a better life for his parents and family.

“Ali never reached an age where he could reap the rewards of his hard work by spending his life devoted to his family.

“Ali was a selfless person who lived for others and never hesitated to offer help and support where he could.

“In the worst of times, he could lift anyone’s spirits and make them smile with his charming nature and sense of humor.”

McPartland and Treacy’s lawsuit heard they ordered an Uber to take them from Oldham town center to Rochdale.

During the drive, Treacy began eating in the back of Mr. Asghar’s vehicle and insulted the driver when asked to stop.

Mr Asghar stopped at a petrol station in Queensway, Rochdale, and was then attacked outside his vehicle by the couple.

At sentencing, Judge Alan Conrad QC told the defendants: “Ali Asghar had the misfortune to meet the two of you, a pair of drunken, licensed thugs.

“A decent and hardworking man, he was a credit to those close to him and to society in general.

“The attack on him followed an argument for which he was in no way responsible. You both attacked him and bear the same responsibility for the violence and the consequences.

“It was a savage and sustained attack. You left him lying on the ground with horrendous injuries and you both ran away and started planning your camouflage.

McPartland, of Hollins Road, Oldham, was sentenced to a minimum of 14 years and six months in custody.

Treacy – who had admitted manslaughter but denied murder – of Gawsworth Close, Oldham, will be locked up for at least 13 years and six months.

Their lawyers said they were both remorseful and planned to use their time in police custody to “learn and improve”.

Following the conviction, lead investigator Phil Reade, of the Grand M

Anchester Police, said: ‘The senseless actions of Treacy and McPartland that morning were utterly despicable and led to a family losing a much loved son and brother.

“These two men are clearly violent individuals and I am relieved that they are now off our streets and given time to reflect on their actions and the pain and grief they have caused.”